Peter ‘Theodore’ Teodorescu was born in 1983 in Bucharest, Romania and is a composer, vocal coach, singer, pianist, and musician/artist mentor. He is the son of Romanian writer, TV personality, and journalist Cristian Teodorescu.
He graduated from the National University of Music Bucharest with a Bachelor degree in Musical Composition (Classical). His piano mentors were taught by Florica Musicescu, who produced one of the world’s greatest pianists Dinu Lipatti.
Peter was the highest ranked student at Music Theory in the 2000 National Contest Constantin Constantinescu, Bacau, Romania. He also received a scholarship from her Royal Highness Princess Margarete of Romania (2003) in order to promote and tour his original composition works nationally. His music has been performed in concerts and festivals and national radios such as UK, USA, Europe (France, Portugal, Germany, Poland, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Romania), and Asia (China).
Peter has performed in Concert Halls, Palaces, Embassies, House of Parliaments, and Broadcast Recording Halls.
As a member of SACEM (France), the Society of Authors, Composers and Publishers of Music, and UCMR-ADA (Romania), he receives royalties for his musical compositions that are played Internationally on radio stations, TV, YouTube, and on stage.
Peter is a music publisher and partner with the world leader in digital sheet music, musicnotes.com, who have over 6.5 million customers globally, and have had over 40 million sheet music downloads to date.
He is an active musical director, composer, and arranger for film and theatre, with his most recent project as music director working alongside Aarne Neeme, director of the drama series such as Blue Heelers, All Saints, MDA, Home and Away, Neighbours, and Out of the Blue.
Peter began music at the age of 7, as a result of his mother wanting to avoid enrolling him in a local non-musical school known with students of notorious reputations.
As a child he struggled to sight read as a result of dyslexia. This meant that Peter had to develop immaculate hearing for music at a very young age, and has perfect pitch.
The ability to learn a song by ear after hearing it a few times has become a strength. This ability extends to be able to directly create sheet music by hearing a song by ear.
Since the age of 14, and all through his high school years at the Dinu Lipatti Music High School, and university years at the National University of Music Bucharest, Peter had been taught by teachers who studied with the legendary teacher Florica Musicescu. This included the subjects of Music Theory, Harmony, Counterpoint, Orchestra Score Reading, and Piano. His teachers were accomplished pianists that would not accept any less from him.
TV Personalities, XFactor, The Voice, and Eurovision
Before moving to Australia, Peter was the musical adviser, vocal coach, and piano accompanist to the Romanian version of Your Face Sounds Familiar, which is a competition between the finalists of the X Factor, The Voice, Eurovision contestants, and known singers, actors, entertainers and dancers.
As an international composer he wrote in styles encompassing classical, modal, classical avant-garde, and pop music. The works he composed were performed internationally including music festivals, broadcast radio stations, television, and theatre.
From 2003 while studying in parallel at the National Univerisity of Music Bucharest, Peter commenced experimental music, phenomenology, spectral music and esthetics under the close mentorship of Iancu Dumitrescu and Ana-Maria Avram, Horatiu Radulescu, and Costin Cazaban.
Recordings and Broadcasts
- Works III (2009) (as composer and soloist percussion)
- Selected Works (2008) (as composer and soloist percussion)9
- Works (2005) (as composer, soloist piano and percussion)10 11
Other Contributions on other albums:
- Tim Hodgkinson 12 – Attaot (2014) (as percussionist)
- Tim Hodgkinson – Onsets (2006) (as percussionist)13
- Tim Hodgkinson – Sketch of Now (2006) (as percussionist)14
- Musique Directe IV Vynil (2008) (as voice effects)15
- Live In LSO St. Luke’s, London (2012) (as percussionist)
- Live In London (I) (2010) (as percussionist)16
- Live In Spark (2008) (as percussionist on two tracks)17 18
- 2008 (as cello player) – “Un Grain Dans L’Espace”
- Laboratory (2006) (as percussionist)
- Remote Pulsar (2005) (as percussionist on 3 tracks)
- Tractatus I-XII (for solo wind instruments) 2003-2009
- Tractatus XIII For Soprano Saxophone and Orchestra
- Composed Orchestral, chamber and electronic music, (Avant-garde music) played by Romanian and International soloists 2003 – 2009
- Metempsychosis (Gamma) Computer Assisted Music 2008
- Metempsychosis (Beta) Computer Assisted Music 2008
- Catharsis (I) Computer Assisted Music And Percussion 2008
- Metempsychosis (Alpha) For Clarinet And Ensemble 2008
- Catharsis (II) Computer Assisted Music And Percussion 2008
- Metempsychosis (Delta) Computer Assisted Music 2008
- Remix (II)19
- String Quartet No 2 – 2005
- Total Eclipse (II) Computer, Sounds, Piano 2005
- String Quartet No 1 – 2004
- Stellar Points for two clarinets – 2004
- Points for Solo Oboe – 2004
- Rythmogramme (III) for clarinet and ensemble – 2004
- Spectrogramme (II) Computer, Sounds20
In the Media
- Romanian Radio Broadcasting Corporation & EDITION MODERN / CREMAC – The International Festival of Electronic and Computer Music, May 2006
- CIMRO, Centrul De Informare Muzicala, Peter (Petru) Teodorescu (piano), Hyperion Ensemble, 2007
- (in Romanian) “COLIND DE CRĂCIUN” – FUNDAȚIA “UNIVERSAL ARTIST UNFORGETTABLE “ (Gazdă Teatrul Odeon), Bucharest, 2010
- (in Romanian) Peter Teodorescu – Tractatus pentru ansamblu, Festivalul George Enescu 2007
- (in Romanian) Peter Teodorescu – “Super-Novae” pentru ansamblu şi sunete electronice Costin, Festivalul George Enescu 2007
- (in Romanian) The Epoch Times Peter (Petru) Teodorescu concerteaza la Paris
- (in Romanian) DC News Peter (Petru) Teodorescu (piano arrangement)
- Government Gazette, The Sixth Annual SPECTRUM XXI Festival, Romania – November 2011
- Musica Nova Acusmatica la Ploiesti – Bucuresti – October 2004
- Programmation associée 11èmes Rencontres internationales Paris/Berlin Centre Wallonie-Bruxelles à Paris – Nov – Dec 2006
- Rokolectiv – le premier festival de musique électronique, arts numériques et culture – 2006
- Ansamblul HYPERION – HYPERION Ensemble – 2004
- SPECTRUM XXI, Hyperion Ensemble – November 2008
- Harvest Works, An Evening of Fixed Media Electroacoustic Compositions, January 14, 2009
- Romanian Cultural Center,Hyperion Ensemble at Spectrum XXI, Belgium, France, UK, November 20, 2008
- HyperSpectral Music Portal, Hyperiod Ensemble, London Tour
- The Second Edition of the International Festival, MUSICA NOVA ACOUSMATICA, October 24, 2004
- Deschiderea Festivalului, May 3, 2005
- Siberfest 200
- Third International SPECTRAL MUSIC Festival, MUSICA NOVA ACOUSMATICA 2005
- Peter Teodorescu – Selected Works CD, 2008
- WORKS, Peter Teodorescu 2003-2005
- Peter Teodorescu (conductors : Iancu Dumitrescu – Ana-Mara Avram) CD 2005
- Tim Hodgkinson, Onsets 2009
- Tim Hodgkinson, Onsets, 2006
- Tim Hodgkinson, Sketch of Now, Studio Album, 2006
- 25th Anniversary Record, GOL-25 Ensemble 1988-2014
- Live in London (I), Avram, Ana-Maria / Dumitrescu, Iancu, 2008
- Live in Spark, 2008, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- Art into Life, Iancu Dumitrescu – Ana-Mari Avram “Live in Spark” CD, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, 2008
- Asymmetry Music Magazine, Spectrum XXI-2006
- Musica Nova Acusmatica la Ploiesti – Bucuresti, October 2004